Tuesday, March 29, 2016

How to get those Windows apps just can't live without on Ubuntu

One of my own stumbling blocks on making the switch to Ubuntu full time was those few apps I just can't live without.

1) Adobe Photoshop-
              I have been using this since I was in high school in the early 90's. Yes I am old let's not go there. But when other people use illustrator and other parts of creative suite, all I really need to do 90% of the graphics I do is photoshop. So how do I get this on Ubuntu? There's an app in the "ubuntu software center" called "PlayonLinux" now you might ask why not with just wine, well i don't know why but it doesn't work for me and playonlinux just does. So use what works right? Below is a link to the original post I found that gave me something else to try when wine didn't work.

(sourced from: https://askubuntu.com/questions/530110/how-can-i-install-photoshop-cs6-on-ubuntu-14-04)

2) 1password-
                This is a glorious password manager, to be honest I am not sure why I havn't always used something like this, but unfortunately it's only native to windows, and mac os x as far as desktop operating systems. So how do you get around this, careful installation with wine, yes wine this time did the job, and normally this is the first thing I install after dropbox. Below is a link to the guide along with a video that showed clearly and easily that just because your on ubuntu there's no need to give up your 1password.

(sourced from: http://eduardosanchez.me/2015/01/25/1password-on-ubuntu-linux-14-10/)

Short post this time, but if you have other apps from windows you can't live without let me know in comments or tweet me at:@c00p3r_7 I would be glad to see your responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment